Media creation (videos for class instruction or promotional activities, podcasts, etc.) is everywhere these days. Think YouTube, Lynda.com, the Khan Academy. This is the new way of acquiring knowledge and delivering your message to large audiences.
Creating video and audio recordings can serve to humanize the online environment, convey deeper meaning, and provide a catalyst for social and instructional presence. Some of the uses for educational media include:
- short instructional/promotional videos or audio recordings
- just-in-time tutorials
- collaborative peer assignments
- formative assessments
- digital storytelling projects
At Douglas College, we just rolled out our new EdMedia Program, which, once completed, will provide participants with the skills to create their own educational media designed for their specific purpose, whether that means producing a video or launching a podcast, and ultimately, reaching your desired audience. Graduates leave with a deeper understanding of the creative process and assets that can be used in the classroom, in online courses, or for promotional purposes.
Now for the details. The program consists of six workshops held over a six-week period. Enrollment is limited to ensure a meaningful hands-on experience. Participants have the opportunity to work in recording/editing studios alongside like-minded colleagues and creative professionals from Academic Technology Services. A certificate will be awarded to participants who complete the following courses; however, courses can be taken individually and accumulate towards the certificate.
- Recording Foundations: Pre-production and planning
Thursday, May 25, NW MousePad (room N3142) 9:00-11:00 am
- Video Recording Techniques: Lights, camera, action
Monday, May 29, Studio (room N3272V) 9:00am-12:00pm
- Guerrilla Filmmaking: Portable device techniques
Thursday, June 8, Dance studio (room N3260) 9:00am-12:00pm
- Camtasia Desktop Editing: Producing professional-looking videos
Monday, June 12, NW MousePad (room N3142) 9:00am-12:00pm
- Audio Recording: Editing with Audacity/Podcasting
Thursday, June 15, Studio (room N3272V) 9:00am-12:00pm
- Showcase and Next Steps. Next steps to integrate recordings into courses (e.g., Blackboard tools, WordPress sites)
Monday, June 19, NW MousePad (room N3142) 9:00am-12:00pm
If you’re a member of the DC community and are interested in registering, click here.